PROUDLY LOOKING BACK
SANA's Track Record
Focus and niche:
SANA has to date established a niche in facilitation of community based and school WASH service provision. Geographically, SANA focused its programmes over the last five years on the urban and peri-urban areas in Western Kenya and South Rift, but collaborating with other national entities to impact national level WASH policies and practices.
Products and services:
The key interventions undertaken by SANA included development of WASH facilities, strengthening WASH governance structures, promotion of low cost WASH technologies, advancement of WASH business models, support to school WASH, as well as capacity development.Some of the major products and services offered by SANA during the last five years included:
- Facilitation of water services delivery (development of water facilities, establishing water supply systems, strengthening water management structures, water quality testing (lab tests), as well as utilities operations and maintenance.
- Sanitation and hygiene promotion (development of sanitation facilities, liquid and solid waste management, menstrual hygiene management and hand washing);
- Capacity building (strengthening WASH structures, technology and knowledge transfer on new approaches, and promotion of WASH enterprises);
- Support to school WASH (strengthening school management teams on WASH, promoting school led sanitation campaigns amongst others);
- Innovative financing through or by private sector (water as a business, credit for water); and
- Effective Resource mobilization in support of the Sector (since its inception, SANA, through her own and collaborative initiative, has raised over Kshs 800,000,000 to support the WASH sector.
We have over time expanded and deepened our base of collaborators, striking strategic partnerships with over 30 entities drawn from civil society, private and public sectors.We have in this regard developed and implemented joint programs with various actors, besides spearheading formation of, hosting and or overseeing the governance of other networks such Kenya Water and Sanitation CSOs Network (KEWASNET) and Kisumu County WASH Network. SANA also works very closely with County and National Government WASH institutions including Kisumu County Water Office, Kisumu Water and Sanitation Company (KIWASCO), Nakuru Water and Sanitation Services Company (NAWASSCO), and Health NGOs Network (HENNET). We will continue to play a collaborative leadership role amongst WASH actors as a part of our belief in, and promotion of a systems approach.
With the above noted resources and collaborations, SANA has to date supported over 1000 projects amongst several communities and over 300 schools/ institutions spread across 13 counties in Western Kenya and South Rift. As an example, SANA currently supports more than 20 community based water service providers. Through these initiatives, SANA has been able to offer WASH services to more than 300,000 community members.
Attention to sustainability:
SANA has established two social enterprises aimed at broadening the institutional resource base and enhance sustainability. In addition to these, SANA has recently secured land to establish a resource center and own premises.With regard to external financing, we were able to expand our portfolio of funders by bringing on board a total of 4 new funding partners, with an increase in funding of about 30%.